HC Deb 07 November 1918 vol 110 cc2310-2W

asked the First Lord of the Admiralty whether the Admiralty have yet come to a decision with the Treasury regarding the position of temporary officers of Marines respecting the grant of gratuities to relatives in case of such officers meeting their death on the battlefield?


The question is still under discussion with the Treasury.


asked the Under-Secretary of State for War why Mrs. Fitzmaurice, of Maryborough, Ireland, the mother of Private Louis Fitzmaurice, M/415867, Army Service Corps, 3rd Company, No. 7 Hut, Osterley Park, Middlesex, has not been granted separation allowance?


I understand that the local old age pensions sub-committee on 1st October last adjourned this case for a month to give the claimant an opportunity of attending to support her claim. I am making further inquiry, and will let the hon. Member know the result in due course.


asked the Pensions Minister what is the yearly expenditure by the Ministry of Pensions in respect of Grants or allowances to soldiers, discharged soldiers, or the wives or dependants of soldiers, either paid direct or through war pensions committees under discretionary powers, and apart from the graded statutory separation allowances or the graded statutory provisions?


On the assumption that the right hon. Member refers to Grants made under the Regulations of the Special Grants Committee, the estimated expenditure for the financial year ending 31st March, 1919, is £3,000,000. This figure covers Grants to discharged sailors, soldiers, or airmen, and to the wives and dependants of those serving. No Grants or allowances are made to serving sailors, soldiers, or airmen under the Regulations of the Special Grants Committee.


asked the Pensions Minister what the war bonus on existing pension scales is to be?


The answer is in the negative.


asked the Financial Secretary to the War Office if the Government allowance for an indentured apprentice can be supplemented at the ratio of the advance of his wages under the terms of his indenture?


Under the Special Grants Committee's (Part II.) Regulation 7 (1) F, the separation allowance payable to the parent of an apprentice, serving in the forces, can be supplemented, if an additional allowance is necessary for the support of the parent and it can be shown that the son would, if he had remained in civil life, have been in a position to make a contribution in excess of the amount of the separation allowance in issue.


asked the Pensions Minister whether any change has been made on the basis of a supplementary allowance payable in proper circumstances to the childless wife of a soldier who is unable to work and finds it impossible to keep the home together on her separation allowance; and, if an extra allowance is payable, what it would be in the case of a woman whose husband was earning 35s. a week at the time of his enlistment, but would now have been in receipt of 50s. had he remained in civil life in the same employment?


The answer to the first part of the question is in the affirmative. A childless wife unable to work can now be granted an additional allowance of 6s. 6d. a week without the inquiry which was formerly necessary as to her standard of comfort before the War.

In the circumstances stated in the second part of the question, the wife should apply to her local committee for an allowance towards rent and other contractual obligations, and in determining the amount of the allowance the committee are authorised to take into consideration the wages the husband would have been earning on 1st January, 1918.


asked the Minister of National Service whether he is aware that Harriet Bailey has received no dependance allowance in respect of her grandson, Corporal E. J. Ward, No. 13058, Royal Air Force, for five weeks, ring certificate No. 53,483; whether he is aware that the central pay office writes that the book has been forwarded but the post office, 149, High Road, South Tottenham, N 15, reports that it has not been received; and whether he will take any steps to see that this grievance is remedied?


Inquiry is being made into the case, and I will inform my hon. Friend of the result as soon as possible.

Forward to