HC Deb 05 November 1918 vol 110 cc1949-50W

asked the Postmaster-General whether he is aware that on the 1st February, 1917, it was admitted that the Post Office had no power to compel a telephonist to remain in the service, and regret was expressed that a contrary impression was conveyed to a lady who had tendered her resignation; is he aware that in August last a temporary telephonist at the Hop Exchange who tendered her resignation, was informed on the 12th August that her resignation would not be accepted, and the reason for this woman's resignation was that the wages she was receiving were below the standard offered by the Minister of Munitions; is he aware that a counter clerk of the Western Central district tendered her resignation on the ground of marriage, and asked for a permit to take up a position in the Ministry of Munitions; that permission was refused, with the result that the woman lost the prospective position, and that his Department subsequently admitted that as the woman in question was compelled to resign on marriage there was no ground for the refusal, but claimed the right to retain the services of anyone under a recent rule; will he state the authority for making such a rule; and whether, in view of the loss suffered by the woman in question who was wrongfully retained, he will consider the possibility of compensating her for the loss of pay and position?


It was laid down in an Instruction issued by the Treasury last June that no appointment should be offered to an applicant who is actually employed, or who has been employed within three months, by another Department, without the consent of that Department or of the Civil Service Commissioners. The Post Office does not compel anyone to remain in its service. Consent to transfers to other Departments is usually only given when the individual concerned can be spared from his Post Office duties. The Post Office agreed to waive objection to transfer in the ease of the counter clerk in the Western Central district office. I do not know whether she has since obtained an appointment under the Ministry of Munitions, but I could not in any case entertain a claim for compensation.