HC Deb 15 May 1918 vol 106 cc381-2W

asked the President of the Local Government Board whether a man who occupies a house in one constituency but is at present working on munitions in another constituency, returning home occasionally, is entitled to be registered as a voter in the constituency where his house is; and, if not, whether his wife, who resides at her home, must be registered in the same constituency as her husband?


I regret that I cannot undertake to express an opinion upon points of law arising out of the Representation of the People Act. Such matters can only be determined authoritatively by the machinery provided in the Act, but I may say, as regards the latter part of the question, that if the man is in occupation of the house so as to be entitled to the local government franchise, the wife would seem to be entitled to be registered as a Parliamentary elector in that constituency.

Forward to