HC Deb 03 June 1918 vol 106 cc1248-9W

asked the Under-Secretary of State for War whether no compensation is paid to officers who have lost money through the torpedoing of vessels on which they are travelling while on duty; whether such officers are re fused compensation for the loss of personal effects until they have, at their own expense, replaced the lost articles; whether the compensation then given is only in respect of, the depreciated value of the lost articles at the time of torpedoing; and whether he will consider the desirability of giving full compensation in such cases in respect of personal effects and of cash necessarily carried?


No compensation is given in the circumstances mentioned for Iosb of cash privately held by an officer. The answer to the second and third parts of the question is in the affirmative. As regards the last part, the principles governing the Regulations on this subject are in accordance with a well-considered policy, which I see no reason to review.