HC Deb 08 July 1918 vol 108 cc53-4W

asked the Financial Secretary to the War Office what wages a soldier who has been lent out for farm work in the neighbourhood of his own home, and who is living at home, should receive; and whether the wife is, in such circumstances, entitled to any separation allowance for husband and child?


The soldier should receive his full civil rate of wages for the locality with certain additions from Army funds, as explained in my reply on the 3rd instant to the hon. Member for South Leicestershire. The wife is not entitled to separation allowance.


asked the Financial Secretary to the War Office if old non-commissioned officers and soldiers who rejoined the Colours during the South African War for one year received an addition of 1d. a day to their pension in consideration of their doing so; whether, in similar cases where ex-non-commissioned officers and soldiers rejoined during the present War, he will have their pensions increased in respect of such period of further service; and, if so, on what basis?


Pensioners who re-enlisted for a year during the South African War had the alternative of drawing either the bounty payable to other men or their pension. The year's service counted towards increase of pension. At that time re-enlisted pensioners did not continue to draw pension except in special cases. During the present War pensions have been drawn during service on the definite understanding that they would not be increased for the re-enlisted service, and they get the bounty as well.


asked the Financial Secretary to the War Office whether a soldier receives no pay of any kind, not even pocket money, while he is in hospital; and, if so, whether, seeing that numbers of soldiers in hospital are well enough to go out, he will consider the advisability of supplying them with a small amount of money to cover the cost of omnibus fares, tram fares, etc.?


No, Sir. Cash issues up to a maximum of 3s. 6d. a week are allowed to soldiers in hospital at the discretion of the officers in charge, unless the soldier has incurred forfeiture of pay by his own fault.