HC Deb 25 February 1918 vol 103 cc1105-6W

asked the Secretary to the Treasury if persons who have paid Income Tax on their wages during one or more quarters for which their income has amounted to more than £32 10s. are entitled to claim repayment if their total income for a full year is less than £130; what is the procedure to be adopted by persons desiring to claim repayment; if there is a statutory date prior to which notice of claim for repayment must be given; if small sums received on account of interest on savings must be included in their taxable income; and, if so, whether such small sums as have been received on account of interest must be separately claimed for repayment if their total income does not exceed £130 for the whole year?


The answer to the first part of the hon. Member's question is in the affirmative. The procedure is very simple, involving merely an application to the Surveyor of Taxes with a statement of the total income and proof of payment of tax. Claims are admitted at any time within three years after the end of the year of assessment, but application may be made for repayment as soon as the year's income is ascertained. With the exception of the accumulated interest payable in. respect of War Savings Certificates, for which there is express statutory exemption, all income from investments, however acquired, falls to be included for Income Tax purposes. The answer to the last part of the question is in the negative.