HC Deb 08 August 1918 vol 109 cc1571-2W

asked the Under-Secretary of State for War whether he is aware that Private Daniel Murphy, No. 2911, Middlesex Regiment, has been killed in the War and that in the year previous to his enlistment he contributed £6 towards the maintenance of his aged father, who has a young family; and, seeing that this man gave his son to the Army, will some grant or pension be given to him?


The case is under investigation, with a view to the grant of any pension admissible, and the hon. Member will be informed of the decision.


asked the Under-Secretary of State for War whether he is aware that many officers holding temporary commissions in the Army was unable to get reliable information as to the allowances and grants to which they are entitled on being invalided out of the Army; in view of this, will he say when such information can be obtained, and now state what allowances are made to the various grades of married officers or officers with dependants; whether grants by the Civil Liabilities Commission cease when these men leave the Army; and, if so, what arrangements are made to enable these men to make a fresh start in life free from the double burden of debt and impaired health?


With reference to the first and fourth parts of the question, information as to allowances and grants which may be made to officers on being invalided from the Army is contained in published Army Orders, more particularly Army Order 268 of 1917, which sets forth the Royal Warrant of the 1st August, 1917. As the hon. Member is, however, doubtless aware, an officer does not have to make any application in order to obtain retired pay or gratuity, while, if he is eligible for treatment, a form of application is sent to him; a form is also sent to enable him to apply for employment or training. In answer to the second part of the question, it would be impossible to set out in a reply all the provisions as to children of disabled officers and the families of deceased officers; but these will be found in the Royal Warrant mentioned above, a copy of which is being sent to the hon. Member. The third part of the question, relating to the Civil Liabilities Committee, should be addressed to my right hon. Friend the President of the Local Government Board.