HC Deb 04 April 1917 vol 92 c1312W

asked the Under-Secretary of State for War whether a soldier whose elder brother has been killed has the right to be claimed into that elder brother's regiment in the same way as he could be if that elder brother were alive?


So far as the exigencies of the Service permit, an application to enter the regiment of a deceased elder brother would be considered. I must, however, remind my hon. and gallant Friend that there is no right and that transfers on personal grounds can only be granted if they are clearly in the interests of the Service or if the circumstances are exceptional.