HC Deb 18 May 1916 vol 82 c1656W

asked the Minister of Munitions if badges and certificates for exemption under the Military Service Act are issued by him to individual workmen or are given in bulk to employers to be distributed among their workmen as they think fit; and, if the latter, can the employer withdraw the certificate at his discretion without the authority and permission of the Minister of Munitions?


Employers are required to submit to the Ministry full details of those of their employés for whom badges are desired. An individual certificate is then made out by the Department, in favour of each man to whom it is decided to grant a badge, and the badge and certificate are issued to him through his employer. In no case is an employer entitled to withdraw a badge certificate except on the instructions of the Ministry of Munitions.