HC Deb 08 February 1915 vol 69 cc267-8W

asked the Under-Secretary of State for War whether separation allowances are payable in respect of the step-children of a soldier serving in the Army, when such step-children are living with his wife and are dependent upon him?


The answer to the right hon. Member's question is in the affirmative, assuming that the wife is entitled to separation allowance and that the stepchildren are legitimate.


asked the Secretary to the Admiralty if he will state that moneys paid as separation allowances or pension or otherwise by mistake on the part of the Government shall not be refunded by the person paid and that, especially in the case of a person reported dead by the Admiralty, such person's dependants shall not be liable to refund any moneys paid by mistake if such person should prove to be alive?


So far as Navy separation allowances or pensions are concerned, it is unlikely that such cases will be at all numerous. There have been a few cases of overpayment of civil pay to the widows of dockyard men serving in the Army, but in all cases these have been or will be written off. While I am not prepared to give the wide undertaking asked for by the hon. Member, he may be quite sure that any cases will be so treated as to avoid hardship by recovery of amounts received in good faith.