§ Mr. JAMES HOGGE
asked the hon. Member for St. George's-in-the-East, as representing the First Commissioner of Works, if he will state what changes have been made in the administration of the Ancient Monuments Branch since the First Commissioner announced that it was the intention of the Office of Works to organise a separate Department?
On considering the position after the passing of the Ancient Monuments Act, 1913, the First Commissioner decided that the case would be met by strengthening the Ancient Monuments Branch, which had existed as a separate Department of the Office since 1912. An additional architect, three additional inspectors of ancient monuments, and some subordinate staff were accordingly appointed.