§ Mr. BURGOYNE
asked the First Lord of the Admiralty whether any officers possessed of the necessary qualifications to form the nucleus of the new War Staff, and whose names have already been notified, have received staff appointments, and, if so, what are they; and, if not, when are suitable vacancies for such officers likely to occur?
§ Mr. CHURCHILL
The officers holding the appointment of flag commander to the undermentioned flag officers have received staff appointments, and have been granted the authorised allowance of 5s. a day:—
In addition, the officers holding the following appointments have been made ex officio War Staff officers, and have been granted the allowance:—
- Commander-in-Chief, Home Fleets.
- Commander-in-Chief, China.
- Vice-Admiral commanding Second and Third Fleets.
- Vice - Admiral commanding Second Squadron.
- Vice - Admiral commanding Third Squadron.
The officers serving on the Admiralty War Staff hold staff appointments, but they are in receipt of consolidated salaries, and do not receive the allowance. The officers serving on the staff of the Royal Naval War College receive staff allowances under Regulations approved in 1907. Nine of them have been selected for the new War Staff.
- Commander for wireless telegraphy duties, His Majesty ship "Vernon."
- Commander for experimental duties in His Majesty's ship "Vernon."
- Commander for experimental duties in His Majesty's ship "Excellent."