HC Deb 27 November 1912 vol 44 c1303W

asked the hon. Member for St. George's-in-the-East, as representing the First Commissioner of Works, whether, in consequence of the increase of motor traffic in Piccadilly since the advent of the Automobile Club and the increasing flow of motor traffic from St. James's Street and Piccadilly through the narrow passages at Marlborough Gate, he will consider the expediency of opening a level road from the Crimean Monument in Waterloo Place to the Mall by removing the staircase, and, if necessary, the Duke of York's Column some thirty or forty yards north of its present position?


The opening of the Mall through to Trafalgar Square has proved a considerable advantage to the traffic which formerly used Marlborough Gate and Pall Mall. It is considered that there are great objections to a new road from Waterloo Place to the Mall at the point suggested by the hon. Member as this would cross both Pall Mall and the Mall at right angles.