HC Deb 09 December 1912 vol 45 cc65-6W

asked the Secretary for War what arrangements were made by the War Office or by the State for the maintenance of the families of Reservists on their mobilisation in the year 1899; what fresh arrangements, if any, are contemplated; and whether, in the case of the mobilising of the whole or part of the Territorial Force, the maintenance of their families and the reinstatement in their employment on the termination of their period of service has been considered?

Colonel SEELY

In 1899 separation allowance was paid to the wives and families of Reservists, and half-wages were paid in addition to those who were in Government Civil employment. The separation allowance is payable under Regulation, and would apply to the Territorial Force on embodiment. Reinstatement in employment generally is not in the main a question for the Government; but as regards men in Government employment, I see no reason to doubt that in this respect, and in regard to half-wages, adequate arrangements would be made should the necessity arise.