HC Deb 01 August 1912 vol 41 cc2282-3W

asked the President of the Board of Agriculture if he is aware that the West Riding County Council have been refused all further loans for purchase of land for small holdings by the Public Works Loans Commissioners, owing to the fact that the county council do not charge the rent of the small holders with a payment for sinking fund; and what action the Board of Agriculture advise the county council to take in view of the fact that all further development of small holdings is being stopped?


I was not aware of the facts stated in the first part of the question, but the difficulty to which the hon. Member refers has occurred in other parts of the country, and the matter is under the consideration of the Government. I should have thought, however, that in the case of the West Riding no difficulty would be experienced in borrowing money required for the purchase of land otherwise than from the Public Works Loans Commissioners.