HC Deb 03 May 1911 vol 25 cc563-4W

asked the Under-Secretary of State for War whether he is aware that men belonging to the mechanical transport section of the Commissariat and Transport Corps (Territorial) in Lancashire have to pay their drivers' licences of 5s. out of their own pockets; and whether he will take steps, by making a grant to the county associations or otherwise, to meet this expense?

Colonel SEELY

When a driver has not got a licence for his own use in civil life, it is the intention that the county association should pay for it from association funds. I am making inquiries into this particular case.


asked the Under-Secretary for War whether an Army pensioner can, if he desires to do so, commute his pension; and what are the regulations with regard to this privilege?

Colonel SEELY

Under Article 1,138 of the Royal Warrant for Pay, etc., Army pensioners under the age of eighty who are in receipt of more than one shilling a day may be permitted to commute the excess over that amount, provided that they are in good health, and that the Army Council and the Commissioners of Chelsea Hospital are satisfied that the commutation would be to their distinct and permanent advantage.