HC Deb 09 March 1910 vol 14 c1596W

asked if officers of the Territorial Forces attending schools of instructions, whether obligatory or voluntary, will have to produce a certificate showing that in consequence of their attendance their civil avocations have been interfered with, and they have thereby sustained financial loss, before they can receive pay and allowances, and if they have not sustained this Toss, whether they will receive pay or allowances; and, if not, what was the object of this order?


No certificate is required by the Regulations. The question of fact is left within the discretion of the local military authorities, and I have no intention of interfering with that discretion. If an officer fails to satisfy the military authorities, he does not receive pay and allowances. The Regulation in question refers only to day schools when officers live at home and attend intermittently. It does not apply to courses like Hythe, where the officers attend for a continuous period and reside at the school.