HC Deb 12 April 1910 vol 16 c1198W

asked the Chancellor of the Exchequer if he will consider the advisability of charging fees for both licences and certificates issued in connection with experiments on living animals; and will he say whether the particular Department which issues these certificates and licences supplies any free certificates or licences for any other purpose, specifying the same, and generally what licences or certificates are issued by any Government Department free of charge?


The licences and certificates in qustion are only granted when the object of the experiments is to advance knowledge in a way likely to be for the general benefit, and I do not think it would be desirable to impose fees in such cases. I understand that the Home Office issues certain other licences and certificates free of charge, such as licences to plead, certificates for schools, or for inebriate reformatories, licences for change of name, etc. I am not aware what is the practice of other Departments in this matter.