§ 26 After Clause 6, Insert the following new Clause—
§ "Care leavers and young persons with learning disabilities
§ (1) This section applies for the purposes of this Part, other than section 2(8) and (9).
§ (2) Any reference to a child includes, in addition to a person under the age of 18, a person aged 18, 19 or 20 who—
- (a) has been looked after by a local authority at any time after attaining the age of 16; or
- (b) has a learning disability.
§ (3) For the purposes of subsection (2)—
§ a person is "looked after by a local authority" if—
- (a) for the purposes of the Children Act 1989 (c. 41), he is looked after by a local authority in England and Wales;
- (b) for the purposes of the Children (Scotland) Act 1995 (c. 36), he is looked after by a local authority in Scotland;
- (c) for the purposes of the Children (Northern Ireland) Order 1995 (S.I.1995/755 (N.I.2)), he is looked after by an authority in Northern Ireland;
learning disability" means a state of arrested or incomplete development of mind which induces significant impairment of intelligence and social functioning.980
§ Lord Filkin
My Lords, I beg to move that the House do agree with the Commons in their Amendment No. 26.
Moved, That the House do agree with the Commons in their Amendment No. 26.—(Lord Filkin.)
§ [Amendment No. 26A not moved.]
§ On Question, Motion agreed to.