§ (" .—(1) This section applies to—
- (a) any local authority which falls within subsection (2), and
- (b) any local authority which falls within any description of local authority specified in regulations made by the Secretary of State under this section.
§ (2) A local authority falls within this subsection if—
- (a) it is the council for a district comprised in an area for which there is a county council, and
- (b) the resident population of the authority's area on 30th June 1999 was less than 85,000.
§ (3) For the purposes of subsection (2)(b) the resident population of any area on 30th June 1999 is to be taken to be the Registrar General's estimate of that population on that date.
§ (4) A local authority to which this section applies must either—
- (a) draw up proposals for the operation of alternative arrangements of a particular type permitted by regulations under section 29, or
- (b) draw up proposals under section 24.
§ (5) In deciding whether to draw up proposals under this section or proposals under section 24, a local authority to which this section applies must take reasonable steps to consult local government electors for, and other interested persons in, the authority's area.
§ (6) In drawing up proposals under this section a local authority must consider the extent to which the proposals, if implemented, are likely to assist in securing continuous improvement in the way in which the authority's functions are exercised, having regard to a combination of economy, efficiency and effectiveness.
§ (7) A local authority which draw up proposals under this section must comply with such requirements as may be specified in regulations made by the Secretary of State under this section.
§ (8) The provision which may be made by virtue of subsection (7) includes provision which applies or reproduces (with or without modifications) any provisions of section 24 or 25.
§ (9) Nothing in subsection (8) affects the generality of the power under subsection (7).")
§ 10F Clause 29, page 19, leave out lines 22 to 27 and insert—
- ("(a) which do not involve the creation and operation of an executive of the authority,
- (b) which include arrangements for the appointment of committees or sub-committees of the authority to review or scrutinise decisions made, or other action taken, in connection with the discharge of functions of the authority, and
- (c) which the Secretary of State considers are likely to ensure that decisions of the authority are taken in an efficient, transparent and accountable way.")
10G Page 19, line 37, leave out paragraph (c) and insert—
("(2A) Regulations under this section may make provision with respect to committees or sub-committees falling within subsection (1)(b) (including provision which applies or reproduces (with or without modifications) any provisions of section 20 or paragraphs 6, 7, 8, 8A and 9 of Schedule 1).")
§ 10H Page 19, line 44, after ("(2)") insert (", (2A)")
10J Clause 30, page 20, line 9, at end insert—
("(3A) The Secretary of State may by regulations make provision for or in connection with enabling a local authority to which section (Alternative arrangements in case of certain local authorities) applies which are operating executive arrangements to operate alternative arrangements in place of the executive arrangements.
(3B) The provision which may be made by virtue of subsection (3A) includes provision which applies or reproduces (with or without modifications) any provisions of section 24, 25, 26 or (Approval of outline fall-back proposals).")
§ 10K Page 20, line 12, leave out from ("to") to end of line 13 and insert ("operate alternative arrangements which differ from the existing alternative arrangements in any respect.
(4A) The provision which may be made by virtue of subsection (4) includes provision which applies or reproduces (with or without modifications) any provisions of section 24 or 25.")
§ 10L Page 20, line 21, after ("subsection") insert ("(3B), (4A) or")
§ 10M Page 20, line 22, leave out ("(5)") and insert ("(3A), (4) or (5) (as the case may be)")
§ 10N Clause 92, page 64, line 29, after ("11(6)") insert ("(Alternative arrangements in case of certain local authorities)(1)(b)")
§ The noble Baroness said: My Lords, I beg to move the Motion that stands in my name as Amendment No. 10B.
§ Moved, as an amendment to the Motion, that the House do agree with the Commons in their amendment, at the end to insert "and do propose Amendments Nos. 10C to 10N in lieu of the words so left out of the Bill".—(Baroness Hamwee.)
§ On Question, Motion agreed to, and Commons Amendment No. 10, as amended, agreed to accordingly.