§ 5 Before Clause 7, insert the following new clause—
§ ("Strategic Highway Functions in Metropolitan Counties.
§ . The Secretary of State shall by order taking effect on the abolition date make provision for the authority established by section 27 of this Act for each metropolitan county to exercise the following functions relating to highways and road traffic in that county to the extent and in the manner that such order shall provide—
- (a) the functions of the highway authority under the Highways Act 1980 in relation to principal roads within the county;
- (b) the functions of a county council and a highway authority for the purpose of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 in relation to principal roads within the county;
- (c) issuing guidance as to the manner in which in relation to non principal roads the councils of metropolitan districts should exercise their powers under the 1984 Act, for the purpose of ensuring that the exercise by such councils of those traffic powers in relation to non principal roads does not have an adverse effect on traffic or any class of traffic using principal roads within the county or any traffic or class of traffic in any area other than the area of the district council, as the case may be;
- (d) the functions relating to the construction and maintenance of bridges within the county which on that date are the responsibility of the highway authority;
- (e) the functions contained in the Road Traffic Acts 1972 and 1974 in so far as the same relate to road safety within the county; and
- (f) the collection, examination, analysis and dissemination of data required for the discharge of those functions.").
§ Lord Carmichael of Kelvingrove
had given notice of his intention to move, as Motion 5A, That this House do insist on their amendment No. 5, to which the Commons have disagreed for the Reason numbered 21
§ [Reason No. 21: printed earlier.]
§ The noble Lord said: My Lords, in view of the decision just reached by the House, I do not intend to move Motion No. 5A.
§ [Motion No. 5A not moved.]