§ 16 Clause 2, page 4, line 10, at end insert 'both on so detaining him and on arrival at the police station or other premises'.1778
§ 17 Clause 3, page 4, line 11, after '3.' insert —'(1)'
§ 18 Clause 3, page 4, line 12, after 'who' insert', not being a person in respect of whose custody or detention subsection (3) below applies'.
§ 19 Clause 3, page 4, line 24, at end insert 'and the person shall be informed of such entitlement—
- (i) on arrival at the police station or other premises; or
- (ii) where he is not arrested, or as the case may be detained, until after such arrival, on such arrest or detention.
§ (2) Where the person mentioned in paragraph (a) of subsection (1) above requests such intimation to be sent as is specified in that paragraph there shall be recorded the time when such request is—
- (i) made;
- (ii) complied with.
§ (3) Without prejudice to the said section 19 or 305, a constable shall, where a person who has been arrested and is in such custody as is mentioned in paragraph (a) of subsection (1) above or who is being detained as is mentioned in paragraph (b) of that subsection appears to him to be a child, send without delay such intimation as is mentioned in the said paragraph (a), or as the case may be paragraph (b), to that peron's parent if known; and the parent—
- (a) in a case where there is reasonable cause to suspect that he has been involved in the alleged offence in respect of which the person has been arrested or detained, may; and
- (b) in any other case shall, be permitted access to the person.
§ (4) The nature and extent of any access permitted under subsection (3) above shall be subject to any restriction essential for the furtherance of the investigation or the well-being of the person.
§ (5) In subsection (3) above—
- (a) 'child' means a person under 16 years of age; and
- (b) 'parent' includes guardian'.
§ The Earl of MANSFIELD
My Lords, I have already spoken to Amendment No. 16 and I beg to move Amendments Nos. 16 to 19 en bloc.
§ Moved, That this House doth agree with the Commons in the said amendments. —(The Earl of Mansfield.)
§ On Question, Motion agreed to.