§ THE CHAIRMAN OF COMMITTEES (THE EARL OF LISTOWEL)
My Lords, I beg to move that the Third Report from the Select Committee on House of Lords Offices be now considered.
§ Moved accordingly, and, on Question, Motion agreed to.
§ The Committee's Report was as follows:
§ 1. DOCUMENTARY FILM OF THE HOUSE OF LORDS
§ The Committee considered an application by Lord Kelburn to produce a documentary film of the House of Lords.
§ The Committee referred the question for detailed consideration to the Administration Committee.
§ 2. SECURITY
§ A memorandum by Black Rod regarding security was considered by the Committee.
§ The Committee noted with approval the recommendations made including the issue of passes to staff and the steps already taken to improve security.443
§ 3. LIBRARY
§ A Report with recommendations from the Sub-Committee on the Library for the year 1970 was laid before the Committee. The Committee noted the Report and agreed to a recommendation to remove the telephones from the Queens Room to the corridor outside. The Committee also agreed to a recommendation that the rules governing the borrowing of books from the Library should be circulated to Peers.
§ 4. YEOMAN USHER OF THE BLACK ROD
§ The Committee were informed of the appointment of Colonel Charles Lorne Sayers, C.B.E., as Yeoman Usher of the Black Rod and Deputy Serjeant-at-Arms on 1st January, 1971.
§ The Committee authorised the payment of allowances to the Gentleman Usher of the Black Rod and the Yeoman Usher until such time as the accommodation to be provided under the terms of their appointments becomes available for their occupation.
§ 5. PARLIAMENT OFFICE
§ The Clerk of the Parliaments informed the Committee that Mr. J. M. Davies, a Senior Clerk in the Public Bill Office had succeeded Mr. David Dewar as Private Secretary to the Leader of the House and Government Chief Whip.
§ The Committee authorised:—
- (i) the appointment of an additional Personal Secretary on the staff of Department of the Clerk of the Parliaments as Secretary to the Lord Chairman of Committees; and
- (ii) the appointment of a Personal Secretary in the place of a part-time Shorthand-Typist in the Judicial Office.
§ 6. HANSARD REPORTING STAFF
§ The Committee were informed of the increasing pressure of work on the Hansard Reporting Staff and authorised:—
- (a) the appointments of an additional Sub-Editor and an additional Reporter, subject to review on each future vacancy; and
- (b) the employment of up to two temporary Reporters at the discretion of the Clerk of the Parliaments to meet an emergency.
§ 6. DOORKEEPERS
§ The Committee authorised the appointment of an additional Doorkeeper on the staff of the Department of the Gentleman Usher of the Black Rod and Serjeant-at-Arms.
§ The Committee also sanctioned additional provision for dress clothes for Doorkeepers.
§ 7. SUPPLEMENTARY ESTIMATE 1970–71
§ The Committee were informed of the presentation of a Supplementary Estimate for the year 1970–71.444
§ 8. SUPERANNUATION
- (a) Pension and Additional Allowance to Sir Kenneth Lachlan Mackintosh, K.C.V.O., Secretary to the Lord Great Chamberlain, Yeoman Usher of the Black Rod and Serjeant-at-Arms who retires on 1st April, 1971;
- (b) Gratuity to Miss Lena Blanche Potts, part-time Shorthand-Typist, who retires on 8th April, 1971;
- (cGratuity to Mrs. Ada Elizabeth Borham, Housemaid, who retired on 20th February, 1971.
§ Moved, That the Report be approved.—(The Earl of Listowel.)
§ On Question, Motion agreed to.