§ Order of the Day read for the consideration of the Third Report from the Select Committee.
§ The Committee reported as follows:
§ 1. PICTURE OF THE HOUSE IN SESSION
§ The Committee considered the progress of the painting of the picture of the House in session, and have placed the further implementation of the proposal in the hands of the Sub-Committee on the pictures.1142
§ 2. REFRESHMENT DEPARTMENT
§ The Committee authorised an extra Housemaid for cleaning additional rooms used by the Department to be on the staff of the Lord Great Chamberlain for purposes of payment.
§ 3. NAUTICAL ASSESSORS
§ The Committee considered the payments made to Nautical Assessors attending an Appeal in the House of Lords in an Admiralty action and sanctioned the application to this House of the revised scale of fees laid down in Statutory Instrument 1963 No. 683 (L.7), The Rules of the Supreme Court (Trinity Masters' Fees) 1963, with effect from 23rd April, 1963.
§ 4. REVISED SCALES OF PAY
The Committee sanctioned the application of the following Establishments Circulars:—
E.C. No. 7/63 Central Pay Increase;
E.C. No. 8/63 Between the Principal's maximum and the Assistant Secretary's minimum
to analogous grades of the staff of the House of Lords.
§ The Committee also authorised revised rates of pay for the staff of the Accountant's Office with effect from 1st July, 1963.
§ 5. RECORDS OF THE HOUSE
- (a) The Committee were informed of the completion and reconstruction of the record repository in the Victoria Tower and of the opening by the Leader of the House on 3rd July, 1963.
- (b) The Committee authorised two posts of Record Office Assistants on the staff of the Clerk of the Parliaments in the place of two Paperkeepers.
§ 6. HANSARD REPORTING STAFF
- (a) The Committee were informed of the increasing pressure of work of the Hansard Reporting Staff and accordingly authorised the appointment of two additional Reporters. The Committee sanctioned a special payment to the Editorial and Reporting staff in respect of additional duty performed during the period to the end of July 1963. The Committee also authorised the payment of Attendance fees to Reporters when the House of Lords sits after 10.30 p.m. with effect from 13th May, 1963.
- (b) The Committee reviewed the agreement with Haynes Secretarial Services for the supply of typists for the reporting of debates and approved an increase in the rates of pay from 1st April, 1963.
§ 7. DOORKEEPERS
§ The Committee sanctioned a special payment to the Doorkeepers for extra duties.
§ 8. RETIREMENTS
§ The Committee sanctioned the payment of the following awards under the Superannuation Acts:—
- (a) revised pension and additional allowance to Miss Lilian Katherine Hammond, Personal Assistant, who retired on 8th June, 1963;
- (b) revised gratuity to Mr. Edward Bern-ham Weeks, Custodian, who retired on 25th May, 1963;
- (c) pension and additional allowance to Mr. George Charles Searle, Inspector of Custodians, on his retirement on 29th September, 1963;
- (d) gratuity to Mr. Edward George Herbert, Custodian, on his retirement on 7th August, 1963;
- (e) gratuity to Mrs. Elsie McCarthy, Housemaid, who retired, on 25th May, 1963.
§ 9. AIR-CONDITIONING IN THE CHAMBER
§ The Committee recommended that air-conditioning be provided as a matter of urgency for the Chamber and asked the Lord Great Chamberlain to request the Minister of Works to take the necessary steps to implement this recommendation.
THE CHAIRMAN OF COMMITTEES (LORD MERTHYR)
My Lords, I beg to move that this Report be now considered.
§ Moved, That the Report be now considered.—(Lord Merthyr.)
§ On Question, Motion agreed to.
THE CHAIRMAN OF COMMITTEES
My Lords I do not think there is any particular point in this Report to which I need draw the special attention of your Lordships, but if any noble Lord wishes to ask a question I will, of course, do my best to answer it. I beg to move that this Report be agreed to.
§ Moved, That the Report be agreed to.—(Lord Merthyr.)
§ On Question, Motion agreed to.