§ 2.55 p.m.
§ Order of the Day for the consideration of the Fourth Report from the Select Committee read.
§ The Committee reported as follows:
§ 1.—REVISED SCALES OF PAY
§ The Committee sanctioned the application of the following Establishments Circulars:—
- (a) No. 24/61 affecting the Clerk of the Records;
- (b) No. 27/61 affecting the junior administrative staff;
- (c) No. 33/61 affecting Clerical Officers etc.;
§ The Committee sanctioned consequential increases in superannuation awards in three cases.
§ 2.—SUPPLEMENTARY ESTIMATE 1961–62
§ The Committee approved a token Supplementary Estimate to cover the revised scheme for the reimbursement of Peers of expenses incurred by them in travelling by private car to and from the House.
§ 3.—RETIREMENT OF THE CLERK ASSISTANT OF THE HOUSE
§ The Committee learned with regret of the retirement on 12th August. 1961. of Mr. A. H. Jeffreys, C.B., on reaching the age of 65, after 42 years in the service of the House, and sanctioned the payment of a pension and additional allowance to him under the Superannuation Acts.57
§ 4.—HANSARD REPORTING STAFF
- (a) The Committee were informed of the increasing pressure of work on the Hansard Reporting Staff and accordingly authorised the appointment of a new post of Sub-Editor and an additional Reporter.
- (b) The Clerk of the Parliaments reported on the present position with regard to the application by a trade union to be granted representative capacity for the Hansard Reporting Staff.
§ 5.—ACOUSTICS OF THE CHAMBER
§ The Committee recommended that the Lord Great Chamberlain be requested urgently to review the amplifying system with a view to effecting an improvement.
THE CHAIRMAN OF COMMITTEES (LORD MERTHYR)
My Lords, I beg to move that this Report be now considered.
§ Moved accordingly, and, on Question, Motion agreed to.
My Lords, I beg to move that this Report be now agreed to. I do not think that there is anything in it to which I need draw the special attention of the House, but if there are any questions on this Report which any noble Lord would like to put to me I shall, of course, do my best to answer them. I beg to move.
§ Moved, That the Report be agreed to.—(Lord Merthyr.)
§ On Question, Motion agreed to.