THE EARL OF MANSFIELD
asked His Majesty's Government whether they will state the total number of workers' houses owned by the National Coal Board, and the Forestry Commission, respectively; together with what proportions are occupied on a tenancy basis, as compared with those held as part of a contract of service, commonly called "tied houses."
§ THE JOINT PARLIAMENTARY SECRETARY, MINISTRY OF AGRICULTURE AND FISHERIES (THE EARL OF HUNTINGDON)
The total number of houses owned by the National Coal Board is about 120,000 and, with the exception of a small number occupied by persons of the managerial classes practically all of the houses are let on a tenancy basis. The total number of houses owned by the Forestry Commission is about 2,930, of which about 80 per cent. are occupied on a tenancy basis. The remaining 20 per cent. are occupied rent free as part of the tenants' emoluments.
§ House resumed.