§ 2.35 p.m.
THE CHAIRMAN OF COMMITTEES (THE EARL OF DROGHEDA)
My Lords, I beg to move the Motion which stands in my name on the Order Paper. The first Amendment to the Standing Orders relating to Private Bills adds to the list of Departments with whom copies of Private Bills have to be deposited the Ministry of Food. The Second Amendment is necessitated by a change in the status of certain parts of the British Empire. The remainder are drafting Amendments, which involve no alteration in procedure and no question of principle. Similar Amendments have already been made in another place.
§ Moved, That Standing Orders Relative to Private Bills, etc., be amended as follows:
§ PART II.
§ Standing Order 39, page 27, line 45, after ("Transport") insert ("Ministry of Food")
§ Standing Order 39, page 28, leave out paragraph (7) and insert—
§ ("(7) of every Bill relating to any company, body or person carrying on business in—
- (a) a Dominion as defined in the Statute of Westminster, 1931, or any part of His Majesty's dominions or mandated territory or trust territory administered under the authority of the Government of any such Dominion; or
- (b) India, Pakistan, Ceylon or Southern Rhodesia; or
- (c) Basutoland, Bechuanaland Protectorate or Swaziland;
§ (7A) of every Bill relating to any company, body or person carrying on business in—
- (a) any part of His Majesty's dominions outside the United Kingdom and not mentioned in the last preceding paragraph; or
- (b) a British protectorate or protected state or the New Hebrides; or
- (c) a trust territory administered under the authority of the Government of the United Kingdom;
§ (7B) of every Bill relating to any company, body or person carrying on business in the Sudan, at the Foreign Office;")
§ PART X.
§ Standing Order 209, page 87, leave out from the beginning of line 17 to ("shall") in line 19 and insert—
§ ("a period of four days beginning—
- (a) with the day on which the report of the Chairmen is laid before Parliament under subsection (5) of section 3 of the Special Procedure Act; or
- (b) if the report is so laid on different days, with the later of the two days;
§ Standing Order 209, page 87, line 22, leave out ("three") and insert ("four")
§ PART XII.
§ Appendix A, page 94, at end insert—
("Where the Bill proposes to include a clause to the same effect as paragraph 4 of the Second Schedule to the Acquisition of Land (Authorisation Procedure) Act, 1946, the following paragraph should be substituted for the last paragraph of the foregoing notice:—
'We also beg to inform you that it is intended that the Act shall exclude section 92 of the Lands Clauses Consolidation Act, 1845, and shall substitute therefore a provision restricting the power of acquiring compulsorily a part only of a house, building or manufactory to cases where the part can be taken without material detriment to the house, building or manufactory and restricting the power of acquiring compulsorily a part only of a park or garden belonging to a house to cases where the part can be taken without seriously affecting the amenity or convenience of the house.'")—(The Earl of Drogheda.)
§ On Question, Motion agreed to; Standing Orders amended accordingly; the said Amendments to be printed.