HL Deb 11 December 1928 vol 72 cc479-80

My Lords, before we enter upon public business I should like to ask the noble Marquess the Leader of the House whether he can give us any information as to the probable course of the debate to-night and as to the probability of a Division being taken.


My Lords, I understand through the usual channels of communication which are available that a very considerable number of noble Lords desire to address your Lordships in the debate which we are going to initiate this afternoon. It has become quite evident if these noble Lords persist in their intention, as we all hope they will do, that it will not be possible to conclude the debate to-day. It has been my duty, therefore, to consider what course ought to be pursued for the adjournment of the debate, and in that connection I venture to suggest to the noble and learned Lord opposite that Thursday would be a suitable day on which to continue the debate. As your Lordships are aware, there is a Bill pending to-morrow which will probably take a considerable amount of time to discuss. Next week we are almost in the holiday mood and it would be rather difficult probably usefully to carry on the debate then. Therefore, Thursday seems to be the day indicated and, with your Lordships' consent, if the debate does not conclude this afternoon, I shall propose that we should continue it on Thursday; that is, the day after to-morrow.


No doubt the Leader of the House is aware that there is a Motion standing in my name for Thursday. I am willing to withdraw that and take it off the Paper if he tells me it is for the general convenience of the House that that should be done. In a matter of this kind I should desire to consider the convenience of the House, so that if the noble Marquess thinks Thursday is the best day for continuing the debate I will withdraw my Motion for that day.


I am sure every member of your Lordships' House will be very grateful to the noble and learned Lord for being so accommodating.

Back to