HL Deb 19 March 1925 vol 60 cc604-5

Brought from the Commons, read 1a; and to be printed.


My Lords, I think it would be convenient that I should mention that it is important to get this Bill through all its stages next week, in order that, if possible, the Royal Assent may be given to it—possibly, on Friday next. For that purpose, it is proposed that there should be a sitting of the House on Monday, that the Second Reading of the Bill should be taken on that day, and that we should ask your Lordships to take the other stages of the Bill on Tuesday and Wednesday, subject, of course, to anything your Lordships may have to say.


My Lords. I have no objection to what is suggested, but I think it is very inconvenient to have a special meeting of the House on a Bill to which there is not likely to be offered any opposition. I have an important engagement in the country on Monday, and I am not sure that I shall be able to postpone it. Therefore, it may be necessary for me to make the few remarks which I should like to make, at a later stage. I am not likely to do anything to prevent the Royal Assent being given on Friday, but I do think that a special meeting of the House for the consideration of a Bill to which there is no general objection is not very convenient.


My noble friend can make his speech on the Motion to go into Committee. That course has often been taken before. We can have the Second Reading on Monday and the speech of my noble friend can be reserved until the next stage.


Could the noble and learned Viscount on the Woolsack tell us what is the urgency?


Perhaps I may be allowed to give reasons next week when we ask the House to suspend the Standing Orders?


It will hardly be necessary to suspend the Standing Orders in this case.