HL Deb 28 May 1891 vol 353 cc1169-70


Order of the Day for the Second Reading, read.


My Lords, in the case of this Bill some noble Lords who are interested in the measure have applied to me to postpone the Second Reading on the ground that a case is now pending, the decision in which is expected shortly to be given, which has a bearing upon the question as regards the liability of the lands of the person who has obtained a loan, that is other lands than those in respect of which or upon which the drainage operations are carried out. I feel that such a decision may of course have an important bearing upon the Bill, although rather perhaps with a view to alterations in Committee than as affecting the principle of the Bill upon Second Reading. However, under those circumstances, I propose to adjourn the Second Reading for a week, as I understand that within that time the judgment will be delivered.


I am glad that my noble and learned Friend has indicated the course he proposes to take on this occasion. There is, as he has mentioned, a very important case pending in the Courts in Ireland, which has been argued twice. The first time, the Court was constituted in the ordinary way by three members; but as it involves very important questions under the Drainage Acts, they wished that it should be re-argued before the full Court of Appeal. A sitting was accordingly held by six members of the Court, presided over by myself, last Sittings, and after being fully argued the case was deferred for consideration. The judgment is now under consideration, and I should think would be given within the next 10 days. I think, therefore, it would be convenient if my noble and learned Friend would postpone the Second Reading of this Bill for some longer term than a week in order to give an opportunity for that judgment to be fully considered.


In that case I shall fix next Monday fortnight.

Second Reading put off to Monday, the 15th of June next.