HC Deb 06 April 1922 vol 152 cc2416-7

asked the Home Secretary whether he is aware that William Morrell, 92, Chapel Street, Ancoats (or 107, Redbank), Manchester, a disabled pensioner, suffering from consumption, was recently sentenced to two months' imprisonment by the local magistrates and that, after he had served his sentence, it was discovered that, owing to a clerical error committed by an officer of the court, he had been wrongly convicted; whether, owing to this miscarriage of justice, he will cause an inquiry to be made into the case with a view of expunging the conviction from the records and thereby protecting the man's future; and whether, if he has no power to expunge the conviction from the records, he will take steps to seek such power and to compensate the person who has suffered?


The hon. Member is mistaken in thinking there was a conviction in this case. It was the case of a man ordered to pay for the maintenance of his wife and children. I have no authority to intervene in regard to it, but I am inquiring into the facts and will let the hon. Member know the result.

Lieut.-Colonel NALL

Is the right hon. Gentleman aware that another case of a man wrongfully imprisoned was brought to his notice quite recently, and if there is no redress in these cases will he take steps to amend the law?


If the Home Secretary finds that an error was committed in this case will he see that the record of the conviction is expunged?


This is not a case of a conviction. For any redress that is required, he must go to the court. The Home Office has no authority in such cases.