HC Deb 10 November 1921 vol 148 cc601-2
50. Major GLYN

asked the Under-Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs whether the Government have been able to come to any decision in regard to the present financial position of the Sudan; whether an engineer was sent out at the instance of the Government to report upon the condition and probable cost of completing the Gezireh Dam; whether that engineer has now returned and has made his report; and whether, in view of the fact that a decision in regard to this matter is one of great importance to the trade of this country and the future of the Sudan, since all development work in that country is suspended until the future of the work on the dam is settled, a definite statement will be made without delay?


With regard to the first and last parts of the question, I have nothing to add to the written reply which I gave to the first of the three questions which the hon. and gallant Member asked me on this subject on the 9th instant. The reply to the second part of the question is in the negative, the third part does not therefore arise.

Major GLYN

Does the hon. Gentleman realise the need for an early decision in view of the suspension of all development work?


That consideration is well in the mind of the Government.