HC Deb 30 May 1921 vol 142 cc588-9
asked the Minister of Agriculture whether he can give the names and addresses of the members of the Central Wages Board and of the District Wages Boards who are engaged as agricultural labourers or have been engaged continuously as such for more than a year; and will he state how and by whom members are appointed to these boards?
Sir A. BOSCAWEN
As the answer is a lengthy one, I propose to circulate it in the OFFICIAL REPORT.
The following is the answer:
As far as the information at present at my disposal goes the following representatives of workers on the Agricultural Wages Board are, or have been at some time, employed as agricultural workers:—
- Mr. R. B. Walker, 72, Acton Street, Gray's Inn Road.
- Mr. G. Craven, Boston Road, Kirton, Lincs.
- Mr. George Edwards, M.P., O.B.E., 7, Lichfield Street, Queen's Road, Fakenham, Norfolk.
- Mr. J. T. Gurd, Holdenhurst, Christchurch, Hants.
- Mr. G. E. Hewitt, Waterloo Place, Horsham St. Faith, Norfolk.
- Mr. T. C. Higdon, Burston, Diss, Norfolk.
- Mr. Thomas Lovell, 20, Victoria Terrace, Alcombe, near Minehead, Somerset.
- Mr. G. Nicholls, O.B.E., 162, Lincoln Road, Peterborough.
- Mr. Haman Porter, Weston-on-the-Green, Bicester, Oxon.
I cannot, without extended inquiry, give particulars of the 320 representatives of workers on the various District Wages Committees, but I understand that the large majority are, or have been, employed as agricultural workers. By Regulations made under the Corn Production Act
the Agricultural Wages Board consists of seven "appointed" members (including the Chairman and deputy-Chairman) appointed by
me, 16 representatives of employers, of whom 13 are elected by the National Farmers' Union (one being representative of Welsh farmers), one is elected by the Welsh Farmers' Union, and two are nominated by me, and of 16 representatives of workers, of whom nine are elected by the National Union of Agricultural Workers, five are elected by the Workers' Union, and two are nominated by me. The "appointed" members of District Wages Committees are appointed by me, and the representative members are appointed by the Wages Board from among persons nominated by employers' and workers' organisations respectively.